This Week at Hop Angel
Lent starts on Wednesday, which means this Tuesday is Fat
Tuesday, aka Karnival, aka Faschnaut Day!
We will celebrate Karneval with:
- a Fancy Dress Party, with prizes for the best costumes
- free beads and masks
- an authentic Kolsch beer from Cologne on tap, Fruh.
- a $10 ½ liter and bratwurst special!
We will celebrate Faschnaut Day/Fat Tuesday with freshly baked faschnauts, which are German doughnuts.
For Ash Wednesday and Friday, Chef Kevin will have fish specials.
Thursday is Valentine's Day. Celebrate with a four course gourmet dinner for just $35 per person.
First Course (choose one)
- Hedgehog Mushroom Salad, Arugula, Asian pear, almonds, honey coriander vinaigrette
- Cauliflower Soup, Caviar, whipped crème fraiche, citrus
Second Course (choose one)
- Herb Roasted Jumbo Prawn, Provencal fish jus, bouillabaisse relish, aioli
- Marinated Beef Skewers, Ratatouille, charred lemon
Third Course (choose one)
- Cider-brined Pork Tenderloin, Wild rice, cranberry, smoked bacon, Blis maple syrup
- NJ Sea Scallops, Creamed crab-leek quinoa, old bay chips
- Pan-roasted Chicken Breast, Scallion potato cake, winter greens, pearl onion chicken jus
Fourth Course (choose one)
- Banana Split Layer Cake, Caramel, walnuts
- Chocolate Éclair, Vanilla cream, chocolate glaze
And of course we will have some tasty chocolate beers on tap, Dock Street Sexy Beast and Lancaster Double Chocolate Milk Stout.
And Saturday starts Starkbierzeit!
Every Lent in Munich, it’s Starkbierzeit (strong beer festival), when the breweries release their doppelbocks. Doppelbock is a strong dark lager; traditionally the name ends in “ator” (Salvator and Celebrator are two examples).
Each brewery holds a mini-Oktoberfest at their beer hall, which are mostly locals only affairs.
In Munich, Starkbierziet lasts two weeks. Here at Hop Angel, we will be spreading those 14 days (13 in this case) over the length of Lent, every Thursday and Saturday evening (with the exception of Valentine’s Day).
For our version of Starkbierzeit, we will have 13 keep the glass nights, each featuring a different doppelbock. We will have traditional Bavarian doppelbocks, American versions that are traditional to the style, and one or two that are non-traditional.
Sat 2/16/2013 Hofbrau Delicator
Thu 2/21/2013 Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock
Sat 2/23/2013 Ayinger Celebrator
Thu 2/28/2013 Thomas Hooker Liberator
Sat 3/2/2013 Climax Doppelbock
Thu 3/7/2013 Troegs Trogenator
Sat 3/9/2013 Manayunk Yunkinator
Thu 3/14/2013 Weissenohe Bonator
Sat 3/16/2013 Spaten Optimator
Thu 3/21/2013 Dock Street Illuminator
Sat 3/23/2013 Victory St. Victorious
Thu 3/28/2013 Sly Fox Instigator
Sat 3/30/2013 Stoudts Smooth Hoperator
Also the Grey Lodge Pub has a lot going this week too.